Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft admits there were times during his suspension when he doubted whether he'd play international cricket again and he is determined to take advantage of his second chance.

The opener's selection in the Ashes squad with David Warner and Steve Smith on Friday brings all three players banned for their parts at the Newlands incident back in the fold for the first time.

Bancroft was the last of the trio to receive a recall after serving fourteen months' prohibit but that gave him plenty of time.

"If you'd asked me 18 months ago if I'd be sitting here now, it'd have been the very last thing on my mind but it's what it is now.

"It probably hasn't fully sunk in yet. I am sure sitting tonight I will digest it all, but of course I am extremely pleased and excited to be chosen in this squad "

Want to be true to myself: Bancroft

Bancroft was given the punishment by Cricket Australia because he had been adjudged to have been led astray by his then captain and vice captain.

After he took the part of sandpaper onto the area at Newlands the Western Australian, who was playing with his eighth evaluation, said he was determined to trust his own worth later on.

One of the big lessons I learnt was about being true to yourself. There is not any doubt that I wasn't as true to myself because I might have been at times," he added.

"You learn from these errors that you make and you try and be better moving forward. In the day's end, everything you do and your actions is entirely your decision.

The quick recall of this Newlands trio has not gone down well in the media and Bancroft admits that he is very likely to be booed by the Edgbaston crowd if he gets chosen for the first test, which begins on Thursday.

"It doesn't bother me a great deal," he said. "It is what it is. Individuals might respond how they want to react. Hopefully I can make use of it if folks wish to be like this, to provide you with energy to perform well."